Phil/Psych 447 Phil 673
Seminar in Cognitive Science: Cognition and Social Change
Week 2: Social Change
- Does 3-analysis provide a good alternative to traditional conceptual analysis using defnitions?
- How can the 3-analysis of social change be improved?
- What would be a useful 3-analysis of social media?
- What other explanatory styles are there besides narrative, deductive, and mechanistic?
- How can the 3-analysis of mechanism be improved?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of mechanistic explanations?
- What is a social mechanism?
- How can the 3-analysis of emergence be improved?
- Is emergence a legitimate part of scientific explanation?
- What is the relation between emergence and mechanism?
- Does multilevel emergence make sense?
- What is missing from the social cognitive-emotional workup?
- What are tipping points, criticial transitions, and how do they relate to mechanisms and emergence?
Blouw, P., Solodkin, E., Thagard, P., & Eliasmith, C. (forthcoming). Concepts as semantic pointers: Aframework and computational model. Cognitive Science.
Emergence in Stanford Encylopedia of Philosophy
Scientific Explanation in Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
This page updated Sept. 15, 2015