Phil/Psych 447, Phil 673, 2010
Seminar in Cognitive Science: Mind and Society
Week 7: Sociology
Week 7a: Identity and Culture
- What is the relation between sociology and anthropology?
- How is cognitive science relevant to sociology and vice versa?
- Are there social facts that are independent of psychology?
- Why is cognitive sociology so rare?
- How is culture related to the beliefs and practices of individuals?
- Is culture an emergent property?
- How can cognitive science and sociology work together to explain cultural change?
- Can the sociological study of culture be normative as well as descriptive?
Week 7b: Sacred values
- What is sacred about sacred values?
- What values are sacred in your social groups?
- How do sacred values make conflict resolution difficult?
- Are sacred values irrational?
- What are the cognitive processes underlying values?
- Why do people reject material tradeoffs for sacred values?
- How can understanding sacred values lead to negotiation breakthroughs?
This page updated Oct. 25, 2010