Week 4: Hume and Kant
New lessons about giving philosophical talks?
What is the philosophical role of the history of philosophy?
- Anti-historical: ignore history.
- Ultra-historical: philosophy is primarily its history.
- What other positions are more plausible?
What is the relation between the descriptive and the normative?
- The normative (what ought to be) is completely independent of the descriptive.
- The normative reduces to the descriptive.
- Norms specify what people do when they're reasoning or behaving the best
the are capable.
What are the objects of rational appraisal?
Propositions? Propositional attitudes (beliefs, desires)?
Discussion Questions for Week 5
- How can mathematics contribute to the study of theoretical and practical
- What is the Bayesian approach to theoretical rationality?
- Is it wrong to have beliefs that contravene the laws of probability?
- Is the theory of expected utility descriptive or normative?
- Can a theory of morality be constructed from decision theory?
- To what kinds of practical reasoning is game theory relevant?
- Does game theory provide an adequate descriptive or normative theory of
reasoning about interactions?
This page updated Oct. 3, 2005.