Week 9: Psychology
Heuristics & biases
People do not live up to norms of probability theory.
Biases: availability, representativeness.
- Experiments done wrong.
- Wrong standards of rationality.
Mental modules are selected for.
Modules work well with appropriate inputs, e.g. frequencies.
Dual processes: slow, controlled vs. fast, automatic.
Prospects for improvement: Nisbett et al.
Discussion Questions for Week 10
- Are reason and rationality male-biased?
- What responses can be made to evidence of male bias in science and philosophy?
- Does rationality require not taking a perspective?
- When is rationality used for gender subordination?
- Is full reflective rationality necessary and sufficient for being a person?
- Need rationality be self-conscious?
- Could non-humans be persons?
This page updated Nov. 7, 2005.